Offering short one off workshops to full training modules for fellow theatre artists, community groups or professional education establishments. Adults and children. All materials provided.
Puppetry play for the rehearsal room
Building puppets in the workshop
Online or in person
University Centre Leeds, Guildhall school of music and drama, Ripon st John University, Doncaster College, Fidget Theatre, Mind the Gap, Harrogate Theatre Royal, Cast, Scrap Creative, Slung Low, The Theatre Company Blah Blah Blah, Tutti Frutti
Puppetry can be like a meditation; a free form of expression without thought. Used for mental health purposes it can also release what was hidden away inside of us.
Puppetry can be used to unlock a childs imagination. Exploring stories from far away worlds or just around the corner.
Possible areas covered
- What is puppetry? An overview of forms, history and resources
- Introduction to the principles of manipulation and exploring the shift between abstract and anthropomorphic movement
- Being creative with materials to develop atmosphere and story.
- Object symbolism and uses; exploring our changing energy and ways of devising with them
- Object movement and character development
- Table-top puppetry. Developing a movement catalogue and non-language based narrative. Connecting with your audience, improvisation and choreography methods for working in duo.
- Bunraku, 2 or 3 puppeteer puppets. Working from our own bodies to understand the intricacies of human movement, dance creation and physicalising monologue.
- Lip sync. Developing characters, on or off screen to share meaningful stories we become absorbed by.
- Hand puppetry. How expressive are our hands? Limited only by our imagination we will explore design and movement possibilities.
Puppetry is magic
"Kathleen was a lovely and engaging teacher, making every session accessible"
"A Brilliant course. Kathleen is very generous, giving all her tips and tricks! Working with her is really worth the investment of time – I loved it!"
"Puppetry is difficult to do online but it worked really well. Every session was interesting and very different, plus the information sheets provided were a bonus!"
Please see the dates page for up and coming workshops, the making page for construction ideas or get in touch with an idea.
Thankfully supported by